This tutorial demonstrates how to generate an API key and secret on Kucoin. Doing so will allow users to unlock StormX membership benefits by using their STMX balance held on Kucoin. The main advantage of this approach is the absence of Ethereum gas fees typically associated with linking a cryptocurrency wallet to your StormX account. The one disadvantage is that staking using your Kucoin STMX balance is currently not possible. You can view a video version of this tutorial here: How to Generate an API Key on Kucoin (YouTube)
This tutorial assumes that you have already signed up for a Kucoin account. Also, this tutorial assumes that you have set up both a trading password and 2 factor authentication on your Kucoin account, both of which are required to generate API keys.
- After logging in, click the circular icon in the upper right corner that contains the first two letters of your email address (e.g. ST for firstname.lastname@example.org). From the dropdown menu, click API Management.
- Click Create API once the API Management screen has loaded.
- Fill out the details required to create a new API key. Give your API a name that’s easy to remember and store your passphrase somewhere for safe keeping.
As for API Restrictions, the "General" permission is all we need to recognize your STMX balance. Do not click the checkboxes for Trade or Transfer. This is for your own security.
IP Restriction can be set to No.
- After clicking Next, your API will have been successfully created. In order to link this API to your StormX account, you will need to input both your key and secret into the StormX app.
Your API Secret will only be shown once. Therefore, store this in a safe place in case you will need to add this API key to other services in the future. In the event you lose the secret, you will need to generate a new API key.
The API key and secret shown in the screenshot is not active. You should never share your API secret.
- Add your API key, passphrase, and secret after selecting Kucoin in the Connect Your Wallet flow within the StormX app.